Krystal and Austin Maternity Shoot


I recently had the opportunity to photograph Krystal and her husband Austin when she was about 8 months pregnant. We did the shoot in their home to make sure she was comfortable and could relax while I was changing setups. I also wanted to use this as a chance to shoot some maternity photos in a more natural setting, in addition to the studio background shots.

Krystal had browsed some maternity photos online and found a pose like this that she really liked. I wouldn't normally use a pose like this, but it came out great. Unfortunately I don't know what photographer she got this from to give them credit.

Something funny is bound to happen when you ask a man to talk to his wife's belly.

I loved this big window in the front of the house. I let Krystal and Austin do their own thing while I moved around trying various compositions.


They had this great chaise lounge that I worked into a few photos. Photographers just love furniture like this. I wanted a dramatic light setup so I locked the camera down on the tripod and triggered the shutter with a remote. This allowed me to hand-hold a snooted flash right above Krystal to concentrate the light on her belly.

We hung out in the nursery for a little while shooting with available light. I closed the drapes to diffuse the sunlight a bit and noticed it made a pretty nice background. By exposing for the drapes and warming up the white balance, we ended up with some great silhouettes.

Shifting to a studio setup, I stick with soft yet dramatic lighting to accentuate her form.


This was in the dining room in front of a window, but it looks like it could be a studio lighting/background setup.

Austin joins Krystal for a few final images

We'll end with another perspective in front of the large windows.

As of today, Krystal's due date has come and gone and we're looking forward to baby's arrival any day! Congratulations Krystal and Austin. Thank you for inviting me into your home to make some images of this very special time in your lives. Good luck!

No comments: